Important - Joining Instructions
You can enter by adding swimmers names to the list online using the form that appears on this page when registration is open - from three weeks prior, and up to one week before, Pointscore. Please DO NOT ask Coaches or administrators within the week preceding Pointscore as the programme cannot be amended.
Want to check your swimmer's entry? Go to the Pointscore page in the Members Area to find the list of swimmers currently entered into next Pointscore.
Pointscore dates for 2024 are 25 February, 9 June and 13 October.
Pointscore Goal and Rules
The object of the competition is for swimmers to compete against their own times on a regular basis, under competition conditions. This allows swimmers to challenge for places in teams, and prepares them for competition. They will be gaining experience of racing. Points are scored for any improvements gained and are aggregated for the purpose of making periodic and annual awards. The competition is open to all members of the Club.
- The competition is split into three groups – bronze, silver and gold.
- All swimmers start in bronze group.
- Promotion between groups is gained by achieving three qualifying times in three different events for the group the swimmer is currently in.
- Once a swimmer is in gold group, they can then go on to achieve gold times. Once gold times have been achieved in the event being swum, 10 points are awarded to a 1.0+ second reduction in time, regardless of event distance.
- A swimmer may compete in a maximum of three events at any one Pointscore meet.
- A swimmer must compete in all four strokes in the Pointscore calendar, (backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly and freestyle), an Individual Medley swim will count as one other chosen stroke.
- A swimmer may only compete in events for their own Pointscore group.
- Awards will be presented to the boy and girl in each Pointscore group who has gained the most points.
- In order to be eligible for such an award, a swimmer must have gained a minimum of 10 points.
- In the event of a tie, the award will be made to the swimmer who has reduced their Pointscore personal bests by the most time.
- Medals are presented to swimmers when they move from one Pointscore group to the next.
- An annual trophy will be presented to the boy and girl gaining the most points throughout the Pointscore competition year.
- Once all gold times are achieved a trophy is presented to the swimmer.
- All Pointscore meets will be run under Swim England laws.
- Club Records can be achieved at Pointscore for the age group the swimmer is in as at the last day of competition (the last Pointscore of the year).
Each swimmer competes against his or her Pointscore time and points will be awarded when a swimmer equals or betters his or her previous times.
The Pointscore qualifying time for each event is noted on the Club website and on the Club noticeboard.
Pointscore is an independent competition and only swimmers’ times achieved during Pointscore are noted (a swimmer’s personal best time will not appear in the times unless it was achieved during a Pointscore event).
Due to the number of entries for Pointscore and the limited pool time available we aim to keep "empty lanes" to a minimum, therefore keeping the number of heats to a minimum and reducing the overall run-time of the event. If a swimmer enters Pointscore but then fails to attend, they are automatically excluded from participating in the next Pointscore. Withdrawals should be made before 3pm on the day, using the form on this page (only available/visible in the run-up to a Pointscore event).
Due to the pressure on Officials to keep the Pointscore Gala running to time it is the Timekeeper's priority to correctly record the swimmers time. However, if requested, verbal times will be given. Please note these verbal times may vary from those actually recorded and no responsibility will be assumed by the Club for any discrepancy between the recorded time and any verbal time given to a swimmer.
A big thank you to all helpers. Without you we could not hold galas.
|Points Awarded||25/50m Swims||100m Swims||200m Swims|
|2||Awarded when no previous time recorded, or time is up to 0.09 faster|
|Group Qualifying Times|
For information the County Qualifying times can be found by clicking the link below
Pointscore Programme 2023
|25m Backstroke||50m Freestyle||50m Freestyle|
|25m Butterfly||50m Breaststroke||100m Backstroke|
|50m Freestyle||100m Butterfly||200m Ind. Medley|
|25m Freestyle||50m Backstroke||50m Breaststroke|
|25m Breaststroke||50m Butterfly||50m Backstroke|
|50m Butterfly||100m Freestyle||200m Butterfly|
|25m Backstroke||50m Freestyle||50m Butterfly|
|25m Butterfly||50m Breaststroke||100m Breaststroke|
|50m Breaststroke||100m Ind. Medley||200m Backstroke|
|25m Freestyle||50m Backstroke||50m Freestyle|
|25m Breaststroke||50m Butterfly||100m Butterfly|
|100m Ind. Medley||100m Breaststroke||200m Freestyle|
|25m Backstroke||50m Freestyle||50m Breaststroke|
|25m Butterfly||50m Breaststroke||50m Backstroke|
|50m Freestyle||100m Backstroke||100m Freestyle|
|25m Freestyle||50m Backstroke||50m Butterfly|
|25m Breaststroke||50m Butterfly||100m Ind. Medley|
|50m Backstroke||100m Freestyle||200m Breaststroke|